We joined this project after the initial marketing research had been carried out so we were kicking off with user research data which was helpful. Research identified that the Budget car hire customer was a 'hand holder'. These users are not digital natives and have an inherent scepticism with digital technology. They are also frequent users of comparison websites and are price aware. Hand holders need constant reassurance and the user interface needed to provide this reassurance in it's use of clear graphics and context.
We engaged in a full UX process using this research and we identified key persona characteristics, pain points and opportunities for improvement. We then created lofi wireframes which we tested with user panels. The feedback then went into the first UI screens which were then turned into clickable mockups that underwent further user testing. We adapted the design and features in response to this learning.
The design featured a clear 4 stage car hire process that showed our app users where on the journey they were and what they had to do next. The little car was deliberately realistic and offered them the link to reality that would be source of reassurance. Clear and prominent pricing, live spend totals and the ability to move around the app changing booking criteria to match the hire to their budget was also accomplished.
The project was further extended with a digital wallet feature that enabled users to add additional functionality to the app, such as car park finder, damage report and extend my booking functionality.
The app tested extremely well with users and they felt confident to choose a hire car, extras, the location for pickup and drop off and to do this all within their budget with clarity and transparency. The lively design language added a playful aspect to the process and projected an inexpensive yet stylish vibe.
The screen designs above were turned into a working prototype using Azure, to enable us to test usability assumptions and also to present the app to internal stakeholders and management at the company. Working with an on device prototype also helped us explain functionality to developers thereby speeding up the build process.